Sunday, December 30, 2012

Day 2 Post-TPLO surgery

Brinkley is still doing good, limping even less today.  She is using the leg much more than I anticipated.  It’s already getting difficult to keep her still.  She wants to go out in the backyard and play.  I did get her Xanax prescription filled and was only going to give it to her if need be, but after an hour of whining this afternoon she started getting ancy and wouldn’t lay down, so I gave her one.  She did take a nap for a few hours, but after dinner she was back at it again, so I had to move her from the x-pen to her crate to keep her off her feet.

I’m also finding it difficult to ice it like I’m supposed to.  She won’t hold still for it and starts getting upset and wanting to pace, so I have to stop each time.  I tried bribing her with a duck chew and Shawn (my husband) even tried to help by distracting her and loving on her, but it was still a no go.  We’re supposed to be icing it 2-3 x per day for 10 minutes each time and I really think we’ve only iced it for a total of 10 minutes in the last 48 hours.  Her stool is also back to normal already, so I have forgone giving her any of the stomach medication they recommended. 
The incision still looks good.  She does have quite a bit of swelling settling in her ankle.  I’m not sure if it’s fluid or just swelling, but I’m keeping a close eye on it.  She has not tried to lick it once, so we aren’t using the e-collar, which she is scared of anyway.  When we left her alone today while we went to the store we just left her in the x-pen and I put the inflatable e-collar on her.  She tolerates it much better and did fine while we were gone.  Here’s a video I took of her this morning while Shawn took her out to potty.
 
Read about how Brinkley's journey began here:  
 
And to read about the rest of Brinkley's journey:
Makin'Mischief Mastiff Collar... Plus Brinkley Day 11 TPLO Update
PassiveRange of Motion Exercises in Post TPLO Mastiff
 

No comments:

Post a Comment